- Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea while Herod was King.
- Wise men following the Jesus star traveled many miles to come and worship the “newborn king of the Jews.
- Herod was not the rightful heir to the throne of David, so he became very disturbed and paranoid when he heard of the birth of Jesus.
- The prophet Micah had written:
“‘And you, O Bethlehem in the land of Judah,
are not least among the ruling cities of Judah,
for a ruler will come from you
who will be the shepherd for my people Israel.” Micah 5:2
- Herod was a wicked and deceitful man. After talking with the wisemen he asked them to return and locate the baby Jesus so he could kill Jesus.
- The wisemen blessed Joseph, Mary and Jesus with gifts. They bowed down and worshipped Jesus. (They recognized Jesus as the Messiah).
- When it was time for the wisemen to leave they returned to their own country, because God had spoken to them in a dream. The wise men did not inform Herod of Jesus’ location.
- An angel appears to Joseph in a dream and Joseph obeys instructions and takes his family to Egypt.
- When Herod realized the wisemen had betrayed him he became furious. He ordered all male children under the age of two years old to be killed in an obsessive attempt to kill Jesus. Jeremiah 31:15 (And we complain about the pandemic)!
- When Herod died, an angel appeared to Joseph in a dream and told him to take his family back to Israel. Hosea 11:1
- While in Israel, Joseph was warned by an angel of the Lord to leave and the family went to Nazareth.
- The scriptures in bold are prophecies fulfilled by the birth of Jesus the son of God.
Sidebar: Do you think God speaks to you in your dreams?