1, Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness.
2. He fasted for forty days and forty nights.
3. During Jesus’ fast when He was hungry, weary and alone in the wilderness Satan tempts Jesus three times.
4. Satan tempted Jesus in three main ways:
- The physical temptation: do what feels right. Matthew 4:3-4
- The emotional temptation: question God’s love. Matthew 4:5-7
- The control temptation: take over the throne. Matthew 4:8-11
5. Jesus was hungry and weak after fasting for 40 days, but he chose not to use His divine power to fight against Satan. Jesus used scripture. (The Word of God is powerful when spoken by us when temptations come).
6. After hearing of John the Baptist arrest Jesus moved to Capernaum beside the Sea of Galilee.
7. Jesus began to preach, “Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven (God) is near.”
8. Jesus called brothers Peter and Andrew (fishermen) to follow Him, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people.” He called brothers James and John, also fishermen.
9. Peter, Andrew, James and John immediately left their jobs and followed Jesus.
10. Jesus begins his ministry teaching, preaching and healing.
11. When word got out about Jesus’ powerful teaching, preaching and healing large crowds came to see Him and followed Him.